[Wikipedia-l] Re: Educating newcomers

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Nov 20 17:03:57 UTC 2002

TMC, if you enter my house, you must follow my rules -- or I'll throw you the hell out. Just as you would stop a gang of windshield bashers if they tried to vandalize your car.

The difference is, you don't think you have any "right" to do so -- whereas I think you do!

The problem with being a relativist, as I'm sure you've already found, is that you have no grounds for doing anything. The standard is always your own desires.

Switching to absolutism would be a step up for you, because then you would be confident that whenever you do something beneficial for the sake of another, it would be "good". (I leave the question of "what is beneficial" as an exercise for the student.)

Cute Little Bunny, aka Ed Poor