[Wikipedia-l] "transliteration" is stupider

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 13:00:52 UTC 2002

Going over last night's work, I notice that Angstrom has been redone to
include all the various diacretics. Is that common usage in English?

Oh, and Lir, I also noticed on your page that you refer to Jesus Christ as
Yehoshua of Nazareth. A very cute attempt to go back to the Hebrew/Aramaic,
but there are so many mistakes in that transliteration, it really makes it
useless.

1. There is no "ho" in the name. Yehoshua is Joshua, Yeshua is Jesus. In
fact, in Deuteronomy, Joshua's name was changed from Jesus--you are just
changing it back.
2. You're forgetting the gutteral ayin after the final a in Yeshua (though in
Hebrew/Aramaic writing it appears as if it would be before, the proper
pronunciation places it after).
3. Nazareth is just so far off the mark, it's not even worth explaining.
4. "Of" would "me" in Hebrew or "de" in Aramaic, without distinguishing
between the different vowels (tzeireh and shewa).

In other words, here your "attempt at accuracy" is just confused gibberish,
i.e., it is wrong. Stick to languages you know something about.

Danny