[Wikipedia-l] stupid anglicization

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Wed Nov 20 01:06:59 UTC 2002

At 11:56 AM 11/19/02 -0800, you wrote:

>Yes, I agree there should be some agreement about what is done on
>wikipedia. This is why I, and others, keep advocating that wikipedia start
>becoming a democracy and voting on stuff. Atm, wikipedia is pretty
>totalitarian-basically if mav, larry, vibber, and one of a couple others
>doesn't agree with something, it doesn't happen. One of the things they
>don't agree with is the idea that wikipedia, rather than striving to
>maintain the mistakes of earlier information sources, we should strive to
>eliminate those mistakes.
>
>Sadly, one of wikipedias basic premises amounts to, "And we should always
>strive for a anglo-americanized naming schema because this is america and
>if you want foreign names then maybe you should leave the country cuz this
>is america and this is the american wikipedia and we are gonna use
>american names here and thats the end of the discussion"

Bullshit.

The premise is "This is the English-language Wikipedia, and therefore we
use names that
are familiar to English-speakers." In a Spanish document, I don't insist
that my home
town not be spelled "Nueva York".

Also, you're posting on the wrong list, if your issue is with names on the
English
Wikipedia.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig