[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Requesting Sysop Status

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 02:15:36 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 02:50 pm, TMC wrote:
> I see that within minutes of my requesting sysop
> status, Maveric149 rushed to the
> [[Wikipedia:Administrators]] page to alter the
> admission policy.
>
> Specifically, he added the word "trusted" to the
> criteria.  This word has not been part of the policy
> since August 12th, when it was removed by Lee Daniel
> Crocker.

Normally I wouldn't have seen your post until much later since I get the
digest (which are 3-5 a day now!). But while at work I peeked at the archives
and saw your post which brought to my attention that there is an obvious
error in the policy; the word "trusted" had been replaced by a redundant
"active". I'm sure this was a mistake by LDC since it is my understanding
that this is in still the policy -  in fact "trust" is implicit in having
extra account privileges such as deleting pages and banning IPs.

> I interpret this action to imply that Maveric149 does
> not trust me, and intends to use his post facto
> manipulation of the policy to oppose my promotion.

Well I don't trust you but I was not manipulating policy as a way to oppose
your application -- aritcle histories make this impossible anyway. If
anything, your own words and actions have assassinated your character for
you. The below text that you posted simply pointed out an error that needed
to be fixed;

"Wikipedia policy is to grant this access liberally
to anyone who has been an active Wikipedia
contributor for a while and is generally a known and
active member of the community."

Notice "...active Wikipedia contributor for a
while and is generally a known and active..."

The two "actives" jumped right off the page as being wrong. So I fixed it to
reflect the original wording and still current intent.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)