[Wikipedia-l] Censorship and bowdlerization

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Wed Nov 13 22:38:17 UTC 2002

Erik Moeller wrote:

> Instead of complaining about the lack any of this, you can help fix it on
> wikitech-l.

Are we at the pointless complaint stage already?  8)

I thought we were discussing the possibilities with a
view towards achieving consensus on what the
policy/technology options are and what the community
thinks should be done.  Meanwhile mixing in the lobbying
or case arguments in favor or against various options
as per private agendas or personal beliefs.

More seriously, we can only develop alternate
technologies on wikitech-l .....  and only after
arduous study and effort.

In some cases, only the benevolent god king (or an
authorized developer) influenced by the Wikipedia-L
can "fix" Wikipedia.org after a technology becomes
available by implementation on the server.

In other cases the community can begin immediate implementation
by deleting offending account names and material.

In some cases I think the censorship has already
begun merely by calling it vandalism or POV and proceeding
forthrightly (or obnoxiously or self righteously) to delete
the offensive material.

regards,
Mike Irwin