[Wikipedia-l] Re: Enough for now

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 12 21:53:58 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>On Monday 11 November 2002 09:39 pm, wikipedia-l-request at wikipedia.org wrote:
>
>>Well, folks, I've had enough for now.  I can't continue these
>>conversations, because they are taking far too much of my time; I couldn't
>>do them justice if I wanted to.  You also won't see me much anytime soon
>>on Wikipedia itself.  I really do apologize to those (few, no doubt) who
>>thought I was a positive influence recently.  I wish I had the time,
>>energy, and patience to continue, and I hope you'll keep fighting the good
>>fight.

Just like a philosopher! :-)   He seeds the newsgroup with prolix
thoughts to consider, and sits back to watch us argue.

>There were a hell of a lot of posts on Monday but that was probably due to
>en.wiki being down and everybody flooding the mailing list because they
>didn't have anything else to do.

Clearly a symptom of acute wikiholism!  My mailbox was clear before I
went to bed, and there were 77 new messages when I woke up.

>One thing that Wikipedia lacks right now is credibility and reliability. One
>thing that projects like Nupedia has is a lack of material and contributors.
>The new project you are working on will add credibility to many Wikipedia
>articles and thus dramatically improve their usefullness.

They need each other for those very reasons.  Together they reflect the
interplay between quantity and quality - an infinite series which
hopefully converges.
Eclecticology