[Wikipedia-l] Re: voting

Steve Callaway sjc at easynet.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 07:40:51 UTC 2002

The problem is that most content is actually highly POV masquerading under
the flag of POV. And often it tends towards a certain perspective i.e. one
which is both supportive of the hegemonistic status quo and suppressive of
alternative viewpoints. This debate is just the visible tip of an iceberg,
and you know it so do me and a few other people who don't subscribe to your
cosy little view of things a little respect and CUT THE BULLSHIT. The
Anti-America deletion and the yattering of the mental sheep that supported
it is highly indicative of how desparate some people are to pretend to
follow some sort of highly vacillatory NPOV party line.

>>Wikipedia has an important policy: roughly stated, you should write
articles without bias, representing all views fairly. This is easily
misunderstood. The policy doesn't assume that it's possible to write an
article from just one point of view, which would be the one unbiased,
"objective" point of view. The Wikipedia neutrality policy says that we
should fairly represent all sides of a dispute, and not make an article
state, imply, or insinuate that any one side is correct. <<

Anti-American views are not represented. Fact. Moreover, not only are they
not represented, they are frequently systematically excised. This is not the
first time that I have been disgruntled to see a comment which drew
conclusions about Amerika being ruthlessly and swiftly excised. It is
beginning to seem that America and its proponents have taken to book
burning.

If you think that there aren't ideological processes in play in this respect
then I suggest your rub the sleep from your eyes. A systematic and rigourous
NPOV review of the body of work to rmove some of the more overt pro-US
propaganda so far is long overdue.

Slightly fewer rgds

Steve Callaway

> Then state your POV on your user page or write an essay and post it at
Meta.