[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Lir yet again

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 22:02:43 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 07:52 am, wikipedia-l-request at wikipedia.org wrote:
> Because of the "Anti". Enlisting as a queer user says nothing about your
> attitude about non-queer people. Positive categories are fine (ecologists,
> human right or peace activists, atheist, christian or muslim), negative
> categories are evil: "anti-christian", "antisemite", because they don't say
> only something about the self-categorized person but also insult other
> people.
>
> greetings,
> elian

Somebody already mentioned the "Pro- Osama" vs "Anti- Osama" dilemma. I
therefore renew my call for the moving of the POV wikipedians/foo pages to
meta. Anti this and pro that do not serve our goal of creating an NPOV free
encyclopedia. These categories only serve to divide the community and
community building is means to attaining our goal. Meta was created for POV
material and for Wikipedians to "hang out", so lets use it for what it was
made for.

Somebody else had the idea of creating different types of /useful/ categories
such as Wikipedians who have knowledge of certain subjects. I think this a
great idea that should be integrated with the Wikipedia:Help Desk page along
with the Wikipedians page. These types of categories are useful because they
further goals of the project.

Just because you are a Linux user, or happen to be gay, or a vegetarian
doesn't mean that you have the requisite knowledge to write NPOV articles on
these subjects. These pages are therefore only of peripheral interest and
should be moved to a POV-friendly forum.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)