[Wikipedia-l] Re: Our options; *your* opinion requested

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 23:38:43 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 02:39 pm, Larry wrote:
> The Status Quo, Plus Clearer Principles Option: We need to debate and
> settle upon some clear principles about when sanctions are to be meted out
> by our sysops.

I vote for this option

> The Moderators Option: Rather than having giving power to all sysops who
> ask for it, we should give the power to moderators on a rotating basis.
> They act explicitly as judges, adjudicating disputes and building up a
> history of cases that allows us to find-tune and rationally apply the
> rules that eliminate from our presence trolls and others who simply refuse
> to play by the rules.  They are responsible for judging by the rules
> fairly, and as a result the office of moderator is rewarded with moral
> authority.

Bad idea. We already have the problem of not having enough sysops to watch the
shop and perform maintenance. I would, however, support the /addition/ of
moderators to the current set-up. The moderators would decide the borderline
cases, content wars, blocking of POV users etc.

You still haven't responded to my previous post on this issue.

See
http://www.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-November/007226.html

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)