[Wikipedia-l] Our options; *your* opinion requested

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Nov 11 22:47:21 UTC 2002

I would be all for your rotating moderators proposal except for one
thing; the user RK.  He has an incredible number of "edits" to his name,
but with his style of trying to (not) work with people, giving him
moderatorship would be like handing a flame-thrower to a psychopath
in a crowded subway station.

I agree with Ed, Isis, and others that "Throbbing Monster Cock" isn't an
appropriate name for the Wiki, even though it is a good joke when you
see the picture of the chicken.

I think Ed, and many others would be great with "moderator" powers.  But
I worry that with powers come the power-hungry, drawn like moths to a
flame.  I'd rather put up with some inconvenience now, than suffer when
the power-hungry finally manage to weasel their way into positions of
power sometime down the road.

Lir is a nuisance, and I'm not sure what the solution to her is.  She
seems to honestly try to contribute, but she just doesn't know how an
encyclopedia should go, and what things are appropriate to put in, and
what things are better left out.  Her articles on Sumer and "Wealth of
the Nations" are good examples.  The problem is she is so prolific;
she overwhelms the small number of editors who are available to "fix"
her modifications.

How do we know she isn't a saboteur sent from the Encyclopedia
Britannica to mess up the Wikipedia?  She has lowered the tone and
credibility of an incredible number of our articles.

But I find it hard to recommend any specific action against her; there
are those who violently disagree with my edits on some religious topics
on the Wikipedia, and if Lir is acted against, how much longer until
they demand that I be limited, merely because of my holding
a different POV from the majority?  I sincerely want the Wikipedia to be
the best it can be; and my intimate knowledge of some of the topics I
edit *is* at odds with what many people believe; what will protect me
from mob rule, when the mob considers my NPOV to be straight-up
false propaganda?

The one thing I can say is I agree that clarification and codification
of our cultural policies are always appropriate.  Our Debian "policy"
document now runs many pages in length, but it lets all of us work
smoothly and harmoniously together, despite being 1000 strong.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2