[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia moderators and moral authority (was Re: Repost: clear guidelines and the power to enforce)

Throbbing Monster Cock thromoco at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 22:44:42 UTC 2002

Ortolan88 wrote:

> TMC states on his user page that he believes the
> Wikipedia is "doomed to to failure at worst or
> uselessness at best"

I do believe this, but that doesn't mean that my
objective is to hasten the process.  I'd love to see
wikipedia succeed, but I think it has basic structural
problems. Recognizing those problems doesn't make me
an enemy of the project.

> and explicitly states his opposition to NPOV.

I do no such thing.  I do refer to the existence of
something I have called the "Tyranny of Neutrality",
but that is not the same as saying I oppose
neutrality.  Again, it is just an awareness that
Neutrality, absolutely applied, will cause certain
problems and can become a tyranny of itself.

> pretense that the name is pure poultry, he is so
> embarrassed by his user name that he never uses it,
> even on his own pages.

I am not embarrassed by my chosen user name.  If you
read my talk pages you would see that Tarquin asked me
long ago to begin using a nickname instead of my full
name to sign my posts, and I have done so fairly
consistently since then.