[Wikipedia-l] Soft Bans?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Nov 10 19:56:17 UTC 2002

If we set a cookie in the browsers of all Wikipedia visitors, anonymous or
not, we could the assign them random global user IDs. Instead of banning users
by IP, we could ban them by GUID, which would eliminate the risk of
accidentally banning legitimate contributors.

While the majority of users have cookies enabled, a minority does not, so
"soft bans" as I like to call them would not work for them. Other users might
be smart enough to turn cookies off to avoid the ban. But I consider both
beyond the technical understanding of most vandals, so I think soft bans might be
quite efficient.

What do you think?

Regards,

Erik