[Wikipedia-l] Don't be stupid! Be cool!

Bridget Bridget
Fri Nov 8 04:30:08 UTC 2002

Some people seem pretty upset about silly things like

Do Minoans come from Minoa?

Frankly, I think wikipedia should stop having debates about what is the more commonly used term, which results in, apparently, people checking google's amount of returns and thus declaring a winning word, and instead focus on what is the best term.

Of course, who am I to suggest that the American mass media sometimes fails to select the best terminology, certainly it is not wikipedia's job to provide any useful contribution to language, our job is simply to make a encyclopedia, a task which clearly involves improving the language, vocabulary, and terminology, so I guess that is our job... hm

Anyways, the dispute about Minoa was easily resolved! Somebody pointed out that they didn't feel Minoa was ever a kingdom! That's news to me, cuz I know it was, but I can understand how people can wonder whether it was a kingdom or not when they stare at all the crumbling ruins. So of course with that in mind (and the fact that we all know that Minoa will eventually become a disambiguation page for Minoan Civilization, Minoan City, Minoan Colony, New Minoan City, and Minoa New York)...the argument was really not about the name of the page but rather about whether or not the Minoans came from Minoa.

If Minoans were united in a kingdom than all Minoans clearly came from Minoa, if Minoans were in independent city-states than whoooo some Minoans came from Knossos and that means that Minoan refers not to the geo-political entity of Minoa but rather to the culture which existed on Cretica, and was typified by the people of Minoa (the city) but certainly not limited to Minoa alone.

Of course, the page Minoan Civilization doesn't really touch on such points but now that it was finally drug out of the loyal opposition that they think Minoans lived in a bunch of city-states...well how quaint.

But anyways, I digress, what I truly wish to address is that rather hostile nature of certain individuals who feel that I have some sort of hostile nature. If you have some issue with me you should feel free to e-mail me at lapollutionestsimauvaise at yahoo.com or contact me at AIM MarderIII, in fact, you should prefer that over TALK because wikipedia lags like a mofo, and through communication of that manner (rather than Talk's more ship-in-a-bottle technique) Im sure things would be much happier.

I suggest wikipedia add some chatrooms that don't lag.