[Wikipedia-l] re: Performance tweak (once more)

Erik Zachte e.p.zachte at chello.nl
Wed Nov 6 20:32:42 UTC 2002

>> Get real. This is the world we live
>> in: web designers will have to adjust to their user base not vice
versa.
>> Erik Zachte

---

>How silly of me to suggest to someone who is clearly looking for a
>better browsing experience a way to achieve it.
> brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

---

>Nope. The W3C sets standards and websites and browsers follow them.
>If the people who program web browsers *don't* follow them, then it's
>unfortunate that the end-user gets caught in the crossfire. But there
>are now plenty of free, (fairly) compliant browsers out there, such as
>Mozilla: not that big a download on a modem & easy to install. Ditch IE
>and be free :-) Tarquin.

---

Vibber, Tarquin, my final reaction on this. I'll try to explain the
problem once more. It should sink in finally. What good is it gonna do
for database congestion when I adopt lets say Opera and 3000 others
don't ? Will that give me faster article retrievals and less timeouts on
article updates? Your 'solution' reminds me of the old days when Mac's
and PC's did not cooperate too well on e.g. data sharing, and Apple fans
said: "This problem is easy to solve: everyone should buy a Mac."

MS Explorer is not perfect by any means, just a de facto standard for
years to come, that is all.

There are probably better ways to solve the performance problems than my
suggestion. I do not count starry-eyed idealism among those. Erik Zachte