[Wikipedia-l] question about Wiki database structure

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Wed Nov 6 07:16:59 UTC 2002

Hi. Question about Wiki version control.  Am I correct in believing that
every revision of an article is stored in the database, in full?

Also, looking through the php source, I'm seeing what look like a lot of
MySQLisms that are hard to clean up, but if fixed could mean tremendous
speedups with Postgres.  Thats entirely apart from the benefit of
running the VACUUM program every night so the database self-optimizes
itself for the data access patterns that it sees.

I would like to complement the coders on a really clean codebase.  The
code is a pleasure to read and tweak.  Not nice to do major changes on,
but I doubt if that was ever intended for the code anyway.  Postgres
support isn't a major change, btw.

There is one minor point; it's a very nice thing to have the sql stuff
abstracted out into it's own .sql file.  I refer to things like
buildTables.php, and the like.  Code and SQL don't mix too well; makes
it harder to hunt down bugs or make modifications in either one.  For
instance, getting rid of MySQLisms...

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2