[Wikipedia-l] Article count request for comments

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Nov 5 16:47:45 UTC 2002

It has been suggested on wikitech-l that the article count on the main page
should only contain articles that have been edited at least once after their
creation. The implicit assumption is that the primary use of the count is as
a measure of our collaborative, human success. By eliminating unedited
articles, we would

- exclude most articles created by bots
- exclude articles that have not had any kind of quality review by others.

This would not be too hard to implement. It's not a big issue like
certification (more on that later), but it would still be nice to get some feedback
before proceeding.

The quick and even easier alternative is to manually subtract articles from
the count that have been generated by the bots we are aware of.

Regards,

Erik