[Wikipedia-l] Blocked, insulted, and pissed

Rob Brewer rob at rbrwr.org
Mon Nov 4 19:36:48 UTC 2002

>Solution #2: We should give blocked users a way to re-gain access to the
>site, namely by creating an account. I don't know if this is currently
>possible,
>but it should be. We can block accounts a lot easier than IP addresses. So
>we could basically say on the block page: "Because IP addresses cannot be
>reliably linked to individuals, it may be that you receive this message in
>error.
>In that case, or if you want to change your behavior, please create an
>account and sign in, and you can continue to use Wikipedia."

I definitely agree with this. I was quite surprised to find that when my
(proxy server) IP was banned, I was banned too - even though I was logged
in.

Incidentally, my (default) proxy (194.117.133.196 cache-haw.cableinet.co.uk)
is banned again - my ISP also caters to the recent goatse.cx vandal. I know
how to manually change my proxy, but other valid users on Blueyonder in south
west England ([[user: Nosrail]] for example) may not.

Rob
user:rbrwr