[Wikipedia-l] offsite images

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Sun Nov 3 19:34:30 UTC 2002

Could we please disallow offsite images?

*Using them steals bandwidth & is rude to the people who have to pay for the other site
*They're useful for vandals (goatse.cx)
*Thanks to e.g. doubleclick, some people run programs that kill offsite images automatically (e.g. Proxomitron for Windows boxes)
*if not killed automatically, they can cause a page not to finish loading when it would otherwise (doubleclick has a problem?  well just sit there a few minutes waiting for hotmail to come up)

I'm running proxomitron now; most of the country articles have killed images; the goatse image is thankfully killed also.

kq