[Wikipedia-l] Non-English Wikipedias

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 16:31:31 UTC 2002

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of that
change Kpjas

First notice what the top of that page is saying in
terms of description

"We use Intlwiki-L, to coordinate Wikipedia across
different languages.  Please take a look at the
Wikipedia Embassy and join if you're interested in the
future of these projects"

It is about *coordination*, not so much stating the
*existence of other languages*, fact that is already
stated otherwise.

Second : that change should not be a surprise. A
couple of days ago, tc wrote in the talk page

"I'd like to redirect this page to
Wikipedia:Multilingual coordination. I think that
better expresses the intent of this page, and doesn't
carry any nationalistic baggage. It's also an active
name--describes an ongoing process, rather than a
fuzzy entity of unclear definition."

I don't think I saw any no-wait answer to his comment,
but only support from Mav.

I think using the word "international wikipedias" is
not a good idea, because
1) it stress out the "national" part of the wiki,
which is wrong since our wikis are defined by langage
rather than by nationalities
2) it set up by default two groups, the international
one and the english one
3) as Mav said, it excludes Esperanto

The choice of the "non-english page" is better, for it
focuses back on the language. But it still maintain a
two groups settings.

This new page title is imho better for it removes that
separation, and, yes, insists on the evolution most of
us desire.

No, it does not make us a subproject, notice the
en.wiki is also in the list.

This said, I think our stats have nothing to do on
this page. They should be on another page. They have
nothing to do with coordination.

> I don't think we can agree to "the smaller have to
> subdue" rule.

I don't understand why this new title makes you think
that.

If there is something to complain about, let me give
you an example.

It seems that from the fr.wiki, I can link an english
article with [[w:blabla]] or a meta article with
[[m.blabla]]. Is there any way I can directly link a
french article on the en.wiki ? I don't think so.
Maybe I am wrong. If I am, please somebody explain to
me how I do that. If I am not, why is it that a link
can only go one way, and not the other?

That is a coordination issue. The fact it is between
english language and a non-english language is
irrelevant. It should just work between a language and
another, whatever the language.