[Wikipedia-l] Astrobiology encyclopedia and Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 2 01:07:05 UTC 2002

Chas Brown wrote:

>I recently noted that in the article on [[New Age]], there are several
>quote lengthy direct quotes (with attribution and permissions), but
>these quotes are 7 or 8 lengthy paragraphs long; and contain some POV
>material (as well as some incorrect material, as noted in the wiki
>commentary for the article).
>
>What is the correct approach here? Summarize with attribution? Leave it
>alone? The latter seems inconsistent with the spirit of wiki, the former
>may result in a reduction of credibility by removing some referenced
>source.

I've looked at the article, and it needs serious help.  If those quotes
are to remain they could perhaps be relegated to a sub-page, after
beinmg checked.  I looked up the first one and noted that the reference
to the motto on the back of the U.S. seal was not correctly transcribed.
It should read "A New Order of the Age begins"

Even though I support some of the concepts raised in the article, I find
that the term "new age" is used as an excuse for muddle-headedness.

Eclecticology