[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Feature Proposal: Certification

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 00:45:32 UTC 2002

>Whatever becomes a professional review mechanism
>for Wikipedia, let me tell ya how I think it should
>work: the reviewer should look at a candidate
article,
>perhaps make a few last minute changes on Wikipedia,
>and then press a button, and it's posted as
certified.
>End of story.
>After our experience with Nupedia, I think it should
>be *that* simple. On this conception, *Wikipedia* is
>the editing mechanism; the review mechanism consists
>of qualified people *just* pressing *one* button.
>(I'm just offering this as an idea--I'm not saying
>that it's *definitely* what we should do.  But I do
>strongly feel it should be that simple, or
>nearly that simple.  Once we determine the venue,
>we can discuss the details fo the mechanism.)
>
>Larry

Wow Larry, I really like this idea. It is simple,
fast, easy, doesn't require freezing of a Wikipedia
article during a review and most importantly it would
not represent a version fork. There could even be a
second level pass by somebody else with even higher
qualifications. They would review the Wikipedia
article sometime after the first reviewer, make some
needed changes (possibly reverting some less than
stellar edits since the last review), click a button
and presto!

I have a Bachelors degree in Biology with an
unofficial concentration in microbiology so sign me up
to review some basic biology and microbiology
articles. There would be criteria for a reviewer to
follow, right? We need to work this stuff out. I
suggest we create a Metapedia page to work-out some
details. I would like to also go over Nupedia's review
guidelines and see if we can get some good ideas on
what to do and not to do from that. We also need to
dig-up your original mailing list post on this subject
in the archives. There were some great posts made
during the great beta/stable debate several months ago
that should also be mined for ideas.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)