[Wikipedia-l] A Wikipedia "mirror"

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Fri Nov 1 23:47:45 UTC 2002

elian wrote:
> "Derek Ross" <derekross at fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>>While doing a Google search just now, I found this
>>    http://wiki.namweb.com.na/wiki.phtml?title=Main_Page
>>It appears to have been copied sometime in September
>
> very nice: they left the foreign language links untouched.
>
> any other hardcoded URLs in the sourcecode? "As you can edit the page
> right now" there may be some danger.

URLs for local links are controlled by a local settings file that has to
be manually configured by the person setting up the server. (Unless they
really are at http://www.myhost.com/...) Edit links are local links, so
you edit the local copy of the page.

It might ultimately be a good idea to have some kind of explicit 'mirror
mode' such that there's a "see and/or edit the current version of this
page on the main server"-ish link instead of a local edit link.

And perhaps a way to dump a static HTML tree. -- Incidentally, the total
combined size of the pages in article and Wikipedia: space on the
English wiki is about 172 megabytes. The upload directories bring
another 134 megs; we still fit on a CD-ROM uncompressed. That may not
remain so, though...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)