[Wikipedia-l] Re: Possible copyright violation

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 1 19:07:48 UTC 2002

>I'm not really too sure about this one,
>but thought I'd better throw it in to
>your current copyright/fair use debate.
>Someone at 64.175.251.49 has just posted
>all the lyrics to the songs from an album
>called cowboys from hell
>(http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_From_Hell).
>Apart from the fact this doesn't seem like
>encyclopedia material, is it fair use to
>put these here? It doesn't seem safe ot me.
>I've heard that quite a few large lyric
>repositories have been shut down over the
>past few years.
>
>ASB

Sigh, 64 again... Thank your for noticing this. Zoe
and I have already found and removed a half dozen
possible copyright violations by this IP. These are
listed on
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Votes_for_deletion near
the end. I had hoped that the replacement of the
offending material with the 'possible copyright
violation' boilerplates would either clue this person
into learning a bit about not stealing the work of
others or at least prompt them into giving some
evidence that the text is used with permission. Since
these new violations of copyright have occurred well
after the posting of the boilerplates I have placed a
24 hour block on that IP so we can have enough time to
clean-up. If you want to help please visit:
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Contributions&target=64.175.251.49

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

=====