[Wikipedia-l] Feature Proposal: Certification

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Nov 1 07:59:39 UTC 2002

Ed Poor wrote:

>Do you still think there still something fundamentally, um, bad about the way
>of creating an encyclopedia that Erik and I are discussing?

*Fundamentally* *bad*?  No -- even if *I* might not do it.

But I'm starting to think that this would be an idea for
some other site that sits on top of Wikipedia,
taking Wikipedia as a source of some of its input,
but not outputing directly onto Wikipedia
(although it could direct potential editors to Wikipedia).
Of course, there's no reason that this new web site
couldn't be supported by Bomis, Inc., or a Wikipedia Foundation.

Larry has already suggested that Nupedia might act like this;
well, we could have a site that covers Team Nupedia
and a bunch of other certification teams too,
if there's interest.

-- Toby