[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia and anti-Semitism

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Dec 10 16:58:20 UTC 2002

> Well, that seems like a good way to compromise.  It doesn't soft-pedal
> anything, but it gets us out of the business of making a potentially
> controversial judgment.

Jimbo, I know you like compromise, but I generally prefer consistency. If we
do this in this article, we should use a phrase such as "is universally
regarded as" in any sentence that falls into the same class, i.e. makes a value
statement about a person that the majority sees as negative, but which is
nevertheless not disputed. Is this a policy you would want?

> I don't know must about Wagner's anti-semitism (though I don't doubt
> it), so I don't know if anyone disputes it.  Would Wagner have disputed
> it?

Hard to tell. Perhaps he would have called himself "anti-Jewish". I have not
read any of the countless books about Wagner (I just got involved after the
edit-war with Clutch broke out), but the summaries I have found of even  the
more revisionist books of which there are plenty state something like "Wagner
was an anti-Semite, there can be no doubt about it. But .."

> Do you want sysop access, Erik?  You should have it.

"I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment" ;-). I think it's good for
some of the more involved people to keep an eye on how it looks from down
here instead of up there, if you know what I mean.

Regards,

Erik