[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia and anti-Semitism

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Tue Dec 10 16:41:12 UTC 2002

Wagner was not defined by his anti-Semitism; he was defined by his
music, which was universally humanist.  To make his anti-Semitism out to
be as important as his music is really really unbalanced.  The version
Ed had was fine.  Noone today reads any of Wagners "anti-Semitic" works,
but millions listen to his music with pleasure.  It is appropriate that
it be mentioned Wagner was anti-Semitic, but to devote more than a
passing mention to it as if it was the man's raison d'etre for existing
does a gross injustice to a man who is dead and unable to defend himself.

You should be thankful Ed was protecting the page; where Ed left in a
whole paragraph on Wagners anti-Semitism, I wanted to reduce it to a
single sentence.  But I can live with Ed's version as an acceptable
compromise.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2