[Wikipedia-l] Re: Rollbacks: SoftSecurity on Steroids

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Sun Dec 8 15:48:49 UTC 2002

> From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>

> PS IMO there already are way too many features available to the
> greenest of newbies. It would be nice if we started off new accounts
> with basic features and automatically added more features based on the
> number of edits that user has made and the age of the user account
> (maybe have three feature-set levels: novice, intermediate and old
> hand). I fear that having too many features is intimidating to many
> non-technical new users. I'm also a wee bit apprehensive that new
> users would abuse features we might otherwise want to give to many
> users (such as the limited rollback feature described above).
>
> However, after the Lir fiasco I'm no longer in favor of automatically granting
> pure meta-level powers to users. Old hands can and should continue to ask and
> be invited to ask about being Admins.

Thanks for this great work, but I think you should have stopped before
"PS".

I think we should eliminate the "rollback" feature, and other features,
*for everyone*, if they turn out to be a problem, long before we start
considering making a hierarchy such as you suggest.  This is a wiki,
remember!

Larry
--
"We have now sunk to a depth at which the re-statement of the obvious is
the first duty of intelligent men." --George Orwell