[WikiEN-l] A New Rule

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Nov 22 07:20:19 UTC 2002

Axel Boldt wrote:

>1. For every posting on one of Wikipedia's mailing lists, a
>   substantial edit to a Wikipedia article has to be made.

Since I regularly mark minor edits (except when I forget),
I'll interpret "substantial edit" as any not so marked.

>2. Any substantial edit can only be used for one mailing list
>   message.

Naturally.

>3. The substantial edit has to have occurred within 24 hours
>   of the posting of the mailing list message.

I get the mailing list by email and respond to it intermittently and quickly,
while substantial Wikipedia editing is usually reserved for
large blocks of time that may require several days to appear.
So I'll replace the 24 hour cut off with the rule that
unused edits from one large block can't roll over to after the next,
which should preserve the intent of this clause.

>4. Proof of the substantial edit is to be attached to the posting,
>   as link to the corresponding diff.

I'll start this after my next large block of editing, probably Friday night
(Saturday UCT).  Let's see how I do.

>* The New Rule is fully enforced policy and goes into
>  effect immediately.
>* There will be no discussion, and no voting.
>* As always, everybody is free to ignore the New Rule.
>* I do not have a definition of "substantial edit".
>* No action by Jimbo is required at this time.

^_^

>P.S. http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Hilbert%27s_Nullstellensatz&diff=436524&oldid=436508

Now *that*'s a substantial edit!

-- Toby